Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful for the Chaos

Braddock on his 1st Thanksgiving
Griffin is thankful for the rest

Julia in her first dress for the holiday



We served the homemade cranberry sauce in a ziploc throwaway container for our Thanksgiving feast. We didn't really serve anything now that I think of it. We put the food on the counter and said something to the effect of, "Come and get it." The smoke alarms went off shortly after the turkey went into the oven. We couldn't for the life of us stop for what felt like forever. I'm pretty sure that isn't good for infant ears. A lint roller got stuck to the foil covering the turkey. I only cleared the half of the dining room table where we'd be eating. The rest is covered in baby clothes, wipes, infant toys, medical bills and, oddly enough, a cake carrier. (Not sure how that got there since I am surely not making and carrying a cake anywhere anytime soon) We did eat off the wedding china because for some reason I thought that was important for the holiday. In hindsight, paper plates would have been easier. We ate almost as quickly as we could so that the babies didn't cry before we finished. Luckily, they didn't. It definitely took longer to clean up than to eat. What we learned is that for Christmas we'll have pizza. For the time being, it is just easier that way. Julia, Braddock and Griffin were our priority today, not the turkey or the stuffing. It certainly wasn't a Thanksgiving like I've been used to. I didn't spend time carving put a pumpkin and arranging flowers in it for a centerpiece. I didn't set the table a few days in advance and I certainly didn't clean the house. But I did feel more thankful than I've ever felt for anything in my life when I woke up to the sound of three crying babies looking for their Thanksgiving formula.
I hope you all had a terrific Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful! I can't wait to see them in person. Peace and love for the holidays to your wonderful family. Hugs, Jeanna DiMinno

anne barclay said...

Hooray! I can leave comments again! Good work, Nic.
Hope you're enjoying having Mom back. Absolutely loved the Christmas card/announcement. Too cute for words!
Anne

anne barclay said...

Oh, I see you've got comment moderation going on. Hopefully this will avert any future problems.
Anne