Monday, November 17, 2008

Humbled


It has been a blur, this past week. The days fly by faster than I can fathom. Everyone is growing well. Braddock seems to be healed from the surgery but he did get his casts back on yesterday. It seems a bit unfair that he's having all the extra medical attention but I'm sure Julia and Griffin would have likes his extra birth weight in the beginning so we'll call it even.


In the wee hours of Monday morning, trying to feed all three -- frantically switching from one to the other to quiet the cacophony of cries -- for the first time I felt completely overwhelmed. And then I cried. I cried harder and louder than my tiny daughter and sons. When three babies scream all at once for what seems like hours and there's nothing you do can soothe them, it humbles you.


Like Superman, Bill stepped in, put me into bed, took over and I slept for almost four hours. I was able to get some perspective and ready to take on the next day. And last night the most miraculous thing happened. The midnight feeding turned into 1:30 am before Julia called my name the only way she knows how. Everybody ate quickly and without incident and I was back to sleep by 2:30. Julia didn't call me again until 5:00 am, but I was able to hold her for a minute and then she slept again until 5:48. I almost felt like I slept too long but it made the whole day seem easier. I even washed the floors in my free time...


Life is good here. These tiny people will continue to keep us on our toes and I'll continue to tell their stories.


2 comments:

anne barclay said...

Hi Nic & Bill & Gail too!
I just talked to Jack on the phone and he tells me all is well. Sounds like you had a "moment" Nic, but it also sounds like Julia got the message and decided to give you a break.
The babies look great! Take care of yourselves,
Love to all, Anne

Kathy Murphy said...

Hi Nicole, Bill, Julia, Braddock, and Griffin,
This blog is great.. loved reading about the kids and they look great! Give them kisses for me... I miss you guys! So sorry to hear about Braddock's hernia surgery.. but it really is pretty common in preemies. How's his feet doing.. is he casted again and how long does he have to be? Thanks so much for the gloves.. received them on Sat 11/22- totally unnecessary! Would love to see you all to catch up..I know you don't have much time these days, but maybe soon. My email is kamurphy10@hotmail.com, home phone is 908 725-0104 and cell is 908 229-3432. Happy Thanksgiving! Love, Kathy MMH NICU