Friday, October 10, 2008

Sleep....who needs it?

So I know you're wondering how it is going for us with two at home. The simple answer is: It is going just fine. We're tired for sure but they are really good babies so we haven't a thing to complain about. Well, we'll complain that Griffin isn't home yet and we miss him so much. He is doing well but just not taking his feeds awake and alert every three hours, and he has to be doing that to come home. They tell us it suddenly just clicks and he'll be off and running. I hate that I can't see him more, but as it is unfolding, feeding and caring for Julia and Braddock is really a full-time job. Who knew? But they are great eaters and great sleepers for now. When they both scream at the same time, it gets a little hairy but I'm figuring it out. With each day, the idea of all three seems more doable. I think that is why the NICU staggers their homecomings, just to give us a little confidence. There's plenty of time to be overwhelmed. They don't want us starting out that way. Pretty good system I'd say.

We had our first pediatrician visit yesterday and the doctor proclaimed, "They are perfect!" So nice to hear especially after all that they went through. They are huge, too. Julia was 5 lbs 3 oz and Braddock was 5 lbs 7 ozs. At this rate, they'll be ready for college very soon.

Bill have been so great with the nighttime feedings. I don't know how he gets up and goes to work. It is so hard for Dads who have their fabulous new little chickens and have to go right back to work stuck without them all day long. Bill's long commute seems much longer on his way home because he can't get to his babies fast enough. When they are two years old and totally out of control, he may just take the long way -- like through Pennsylvania -- but for now, it is really too long. I should add that he isn't complaining at all. These are just my observations.

We've had Jack and Gail here (aka Gram and Papi - as in Big Papi - we'll see if that catches on. Since we live in NJ, I suspect they may call him Grandpa Jeter, but I will come to terms with that with therapy at a much later date) and they've learned all about changing, feeding, swaddling and they are doing great. Marge (aka Granny) will be here next weekend to do the same. We're crossing our fingers that Griffin will be here by then, too.

I haven't been taking enough video or pictures because my hands just seem to always be full. We'll have to work on that this weekend and get something posted.

More soon...

1 comment:

anne barclay said...

Nic & Bill,
Sounds like you guys are doing great. The sleepless nights are tough but it's amazing how this time will just fly by for all of you. You will look back on it and say "where did the time go?" Can't wait to see new photos. We saw Whitney Burr on Nantucket this week and I showed him your videos. He didn't even know that the little ones had arrived yet!!! Talk about being out of the loop. So I brought him up to date on what's happening with the Trifecta.
Hang in there and catch naps when you can. Griffin will probably be home in no time and then you can really settle in as a family. give my love to Jack and Gail. I thought that was so funny about the loveys! But now you can tell the NICU nurses where they can get them. Give the kids hugs from us.
Love, anne