Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Peaceful Easy Babies

There's not much quite like watching your babies sleep. This is Braddock (left) Griffin (middle) and Julia (right) where they are sleeping these days instead of their crib. The cribs haven't quite worked out yet due to the whole reflux issue we've got going on. Griffin is wrapped in a pink blanket if you've wondered about that. That is really Julia's favorite blanket but what can you do? He might be upset with that someday and then I'll just go into my speech about my hospital bed rest, my loathing of the bedpan, etc....of course, the story will become more of a stretch every time I tell it. I can just hear myself now. "Griffin, you have to understand, I was in the hospital five hours from our house on bed rest for my entire pregnancy."

We changed 28 diapers today and fed 24 bottles. I was thrown up on and peed on more than once. Not three years ago, I was in a fancy suit at work riding in an elevator with Barack Obama. If on that day someone told me then that soon I'd be the mother of triplets reveling in the diapers, the bottles and the spit-up, well, come on, who'd believe that? But it is true; I, so far, am delighted to be a Mother of three diapers, vomit, bottles and all.

Griffin had his first pediatrician's appointment today, and he, too, according to the doctor is perfect. Bill took him and I stayed home with Julia and Braddock. No reason to cause a scene today.

We are not sleeping very much to be sure, but we take one middle of the night feeding and let the other sleep which is working out well for now. Bath time is between 7:00 and 8:00 p.m. and it is everybody's favorite time of day. We are bathing them right in the sink for now in the pink basin from the hospital. Yes, we do have a baby bathtub, but this is how they taught me at the NICU, and I'm hesitant to stray from the protocol. Speaking of the NICU, I have scrubs now. Bill thinks this is hilarious. I admired the cool scrubs the nurses wore, so I googled them and now I have three pair. Of course, I had to get there because I can be impulsive from time to time and one pair just didn't seem like enough. I don't think I'm a nurse so don't panic. I just really like the comfort of them, and if I'm being honest, most of my clothes aren't exactly fitting me right now. That isn't due to the pregnancy weight I still have to lose as much as it is probably now a direct result of the fattening comfort foods that are lining the shelves of the cabinets and I'm stuffing into my mouth after every feeding as some kind of reward. But that's another story. Back to my scrubs...I can't say enough about the comfort and versatility of today's scrubs. They aren't just blue and green these days either. I might go to nursing school next just to get more use out of them. Who knows with me.

All right, I must shut my eyes for an hour before my hungry hippos eat again.

1 comment:

anne barclay said...

The babies look contented and happy. You guys must be doing a great job. I love your story about the scrubs. Actually, they're pretty practical with all the poop and formula and spit up that you must be dealing with and also comfortable. Enjoy them.
Hope you can get in some naps now and then.
Anne