Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Two days to go until Julia moves in

They are seven weeks old yesterday and on Friday we'll have our first child home with us. She was supposed to be home today but her feedings weren't going quite as well as they anticipated, so they decided not to push too hard. I spoke with the doctor this afternoon and sure enough, everybody is ready for Friday. Bill and I have been frantically getting the nursery together and we are just about done and ready. We still don't have a rocker/glider type chair but we're working on it!

The plan is for Braddock to come home on Sunday. So Julia will get one day as queen of the castle and then Braddock will be here too. I begged the doctor to tell me when Griffin would be home but they just aren't sure yet. He said definitely by our due date (Oct. 31) but hopefully sooner. So I guess within a month, we'll finally not be practically living in Morristown. I have been there so long now, I think I'll miss it, but I'm ready to start raising my babies. Albeit terrified but ready.

I was home in Mass. for Heather's wedding and my shower over the weekend. It was so hard to leave but Bill was in charge at the NICU and he enjoyed his time with our babies without me showing him how I would do it.... My weekend was great. The wedding was so beautiful and I was so happy to be the Matron of Honor for the prettiest bride I've ever seen. And my Mom gave me such a great shower! I only wish I had more time to sit and talk with everybody there to catch up and to somehow convey how grateful I am for all the love and support I've been shown throughout my pregnancy and after their arrival. Being surrounded by all that love was so therapeutic for me. It's been a long road to get to the point of bringing babies homeIt was like being wrapped in the softest, warmest blanket.

Ok, pictures to come soon. We've been so crazy trying to get ready for Julia's arrival, I haven't had much time but I'm sure once she and Braddock are here, I'll have nothing but free time to update and post pictures and video.... This, of course, is a joke, but I am going to do my very best to update.

Today I took the infant CPR course and was given a bath demo. They had eye exams and their hearing exams should be tomorrow. Things are just rolling right along. Tomorrow is the car seat test. Julia will sit in her car seat for an hour with all her monitors on so that they can make sure she'll be okay on the ride home. I can only imagine what it must be like for a baby that has only ever been in the NICU to suddenly go outside in the cool air and hear all the loud sounds of cars and trucks and airplanes and then get into a car..... it must be such complete sensory overload. Look out world, here comes Julia DiMasi. Braddock and Griffin to follow.

1 comment:

anne barclay said...

Hi Nic & Bill,
I'll bet you're terrified about bringing Julia home! I would be. But you've had a lot of practice giving her care in the NICU and I KNOW you will be wonderful parents! Such an exciting time. Now you can really start to feel like you have your family. I hope you will find time to post photos and updates from time to time -- we'll miss them but will certainly understand your time constraints.
It was wonderful to see you on Sunday. Our little Teddy had a blast at your shower but I think he wanted those "loveys". Hope your kids love them as much as he loves his. He won't go to sleep without one of them. Nicci - you of all people should understand about loveys! Remember the EAR!!!
Anne