Thursday, September 11, 2008

Two out of three ain't bad!


Today was a big day because I walked into the NICU about the same time I do every morning and the place was all abuzz... the doctors were doing their rounds and it seemed like there were twice as many babies as there were when I left last night. One of the nurses said it was as if someone sprinkled pixie dust and babies just appeared. So I weave my way in and out of traffic to get to our little corner and I only see Griffin's isolette. I worried immediately, but as I turned the corner, I saw an open air crib and two of my three little chickens all swaddled neatly laying right next to each other. It was such a beautiful sight. There's a touch of sadness because I want Griffin to be in that crib, too, but we'll take what we can get! Griffin will get there. He is on his own schedule for now and that is just fine, too. He's been alert lately and we've had fun holding his hands and watching him smile and stretch his little legs. As he has an easier time with his breathing, he will be more alert. Right now it takes all his energy to keep those lungs working, so he tends to sleep more.

Julia and Braddock may end up moving to the step down room any minute now -- the room where the babies go on their way to going home. Griffin will have to stay where he is for now. That is upsetting to Bill and I, but I'm sure it will be just fine. What is happening now is that we're taking up more space on the critical side than we actually need, so as more babies come in, we'll get bumped. The nurses this morning set up the crib and put Braddock and Julia in it to save space in an effort to keep our three together. It was a smart move but throughout the day a set of twins came in and they were expecting another baby this evening.

In other news, Julia is learning to breastfeed now. It's going pretty well. They don't expect them to start this before 33 weeks and that is tomorrow for us, so we decided to try it. Braddock will start this soon, too. I'm learning how to hold them so I could feed two babies at once. Pretty exciting stuff.

There is probably much more to update but I'll post this now and let you see the latest video of Griffin. Enjoy and I will update again soon! well, just enjoy the video of Griffin.... I can't seem to get the video of the crib to load and I'm too tired to keep trying.


No comments: