Sunday, August 24, 2008

Some days are better than others


With babies in the NICU, you learn very quickly that there are ups and downs. The key is to know that is the case and be ready for whatever comes your way. The overall picture is very good. As the doctor put it to us, Julia is exceeding expectations for a premature baby at 30 weeks. Braddock and Griffin are just where they should be. That said, the little day-to-day setbacks are enough to make any parent cry. Just watching a 2 1/2 pound baby struggle to breathe and being unable to make it better just hurts. Griffin is having his moments more than our others. I held him today and he's just such a little champ. He slept most of the time I held him, which means he is comfortable and happy, but he also is working so hard for his breath. Normal stuff but gut wrenching nonetheless.


All three are right back at their birth weights and enjoying the milk I'm pumping like crazy. It won't be long until they start really growing. Me, being as impatient as I am, I want that to be yesterday. When I talk to the other Moms there, who have children who are further along, I learn more and more about how the process works. Every baby is different but the different stories mirror each other in many ways. I never understood anything about preemies or NICU's -- heck, I knew very little about multiple births -- and every day is quite an education. I find myself praying for all the babies in the room with ours because I realize what each of the families are going through.


1 comment:

anne barclay said...

Nicci,
It must be so hard to have to watch your little ones when they're having a hard time but hopefully the good days will outweigh the bad and they will progress themselves right out of that NICU one of these days. Sounds like Julia is a lot like her Mom, one strong kid!!! Hey, you might need to get three bunnies. Your kids will need to have their "ears" ya know? Stay strong and know that we are all pulling for ya! Anne