Friday, August 22, 2008

And just like that they're ten days old

Here is a view from the NICU. all three of these isolettes are ours. We're really taking up quite a bit of real estate since it's not a very big room.
There is always a bell or a beep or some kind of alarm and they all mean different things. We've learned that most are not of major importance but the first few days our heads were on a swivel trying to figure out where each alarm was coming from. Our babies now have blankets over their incubators to keep the overhead lights and some of the noise from keeping them awake. I'm making special blankets with their initials on them that are all the same -- I shouldn't say "making." That's slightly more Martha Stewart than I can claim to be. I bought the blankets and I'm putting their initials on them. We'll get a picture of my creative endeavor just as soon as I get this project completed.
We cannot believe ten days have passed already. I wanted this c-section thing healed and done with by now (so naive) but it is slowly getting better. I think most of the aching and pain is coming from the eight weeks of bed rest more so than the surgery. I'll live. I'm also woefully disappointed that I still look pregnant. I swear no one else that I know that's had a baby still looks pregnant 10 days later! (again, so naive) But enough about me, you're here to read about Julia, Braddock and Griffin. I was thinking I ought to change it up when I refer to them.... sometimes Braddock, Julia and Griffin or Griffin, Julia... you see where I'm going with this. I tend to name them at A, B and C (their birth order) because they do everything that way in the hospital. But that may appear I'm showing favorites and we can't have that. All three are still doing very well. Griffin is struggling more than the other two, but the doctors still feel he's doing great. Julia is making this whole NICU thing look so easy that she's making the boys look bad. She's already a show off! Girls tend to do better than boys as preemies so this isn't a surprise. Looking at her progress, it's easy to feel a little down that the boys aren't quite where she is yet. We know that this is a roller coaster ride and they'll be not far behind. We're so impressed with the team of doctors and nurses. I got my first phone call from an orthopedic doctor asking for Braddock's mom. I smiled and cried and realized, yes, that was me! Some of the other mom's I've met who've been there longer are moving to the "step up" room in the NICU - closer to going home. It's reassuring to see that. Not too much else to update. Luckily, all three grand parents are here for the weekend, so the babies will be spoiled with attention!! We will get some new pictures and video uploaded over the weekend when Daddy's got a little free time.

3 comments:

anne barclay said...

Hi Nic & Bill,
Thanks again for the update. Sounds like the babies are doing very well and will continue to thrive and grow. Nic, recovering from any surgery always takes longer than you think it will. Don't get discouraged and just try not to overdo. (I know it's hard not to with all you are dealing with right now.) Let the grandparents do as much as they can for you. Give a big hello to your folks. Hang in there and thanks again for finding the time to update those of us that can't be there. Anne

christine jacobson said...

Nicci and Bill,
Seeing these three miracles in action is amazing, how blessed you have been, the whole c-section and NICU scene is very foreign to many of us before we are thrown into it.
When Michael was in Boston Floating Frank thought they were having a birthday party for one of the babies because they had paper cups taped to their heads like birthday hats (the cups were holding their IV's in place). I was in a different hospital for the first week and didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I did learn that how tough we thought our situation was there were other parents and children with much more serious problems then us, and you thank God for your blessings. Denise's little girl Sara Nichole has fallen in love the DiMasi children she watches then, talks to them and kisses they constantly, I think their picture is their screen saver right now.
Please continue to take care of yourself and resr now while you can.
Love,
Christine Jacobson

Unknown said...

Hi Nicole and Bill,
Just got a look at you great new website..it's great! Your little one's are so beautiful and adorable. I am thrilled and so happy for all of you!
Fran