Thursday, February 19, 2009

Happy Belated Valentine's Day


This is grossly overdue but I thought it's worth posting. We've been running like crazy in the new, tricked out minivan. In fact, we're all about minivans now! (Not really but it is considerably easier to cart these miniature grown-ups around.) I've got a couple new posts half written. They may stay unfinished forever but that won't be the goal. Granny and Bill took the reins last weekend for almost 30 hours while I dashed up to Massachusetts to be in attendance at the going away/retirement party for Jack and Gail (aka Gram and Poppy). They both did a remarkable job!


It was bittersweet to say good-bye to the one place in the world I'll always consider my home. I know we'll visit and, of course, bring the kids -- I owe all the fine people of Wrentham who have pulled for us every step of this journey -- but it won't ever be exactly the same. I walked through the house at 60 Stoney Brook Lane one last time and touched the walls, sweetly recalling all the wonderful memories we'll always cherish. Everything I ever needed to know to become who I am today, I learned there. As we raise our children, I realize how important that village really is, and as I drove up around the circle and up the hill of my street, I wished for my children that a place like Wrentham will fall in their little laps much as it fell into mine. Because to grow up as loved and cared for as my brother and I were is the greatest gift any child could ever be given. If I could have, I would have wrapped my arms around the house, kiss it good-bye and say a great big thank you.


Now Gram and Poppy have safely arrived to their new home where the garage door fell off its hinges, the water wasn't working and the lights downstairs were off... not the smooth transition one would hope for their parents who selflessly retired and changed their lives to help us! I can report all problems have been fixed and their furniture will arrive tonight. Gail is thrilled to have her first coat closet and in the master a walk-in closet. Jack is patiently waiting for his plasma TV to show up before he goes insane. He informed us last night that he hadn't seen sports for five days! My heart breaks for him when he realizes NESN is a thing of the past and it's all YES Network from here on out.


We tried to be at their house with these beautiful, smiling babies when they arrived, but they walked in to three little screamers who didn't like being out of their familiar surroundings. I guess I should have known how that would go. To them we say, "Welcome home," and, "Here are the kids; we'll be taking a quick nap." (That was just a joke)

3 comments:

anne barclay said...

Hi Nic,
It was great to see you last weekend. What a neat surprise for your parents to have you there. I hope you enjoyed your 30 hours of freedom!
Anne

Anonymous said...

lol... Great post Nic! Tell Jack Direct TV can get em all the Boston Sports. Trust me..... we have it!!! Enjoy your folkss... They are 1 in a million. They are Very Special people that I am glad my kids got to know.
Deb Hardway

The Honeymooners-Chris and Noelani K. Miranda said...

Nicco! This is so exciting, that you're parents have made their journey. Triple the fun clan look as fabulous as ever. I love their valentine card! Will they turn into wee leprechauns soon?? XOXO