Thursday, February 12, 2009


Braddock and Julia


Griffin and his favorite lamb




Where to begin? The past week and a half is a complete blur. Today we have six-month-old babies and I can't quite figure out how that could be. Of course, with their adjusted age, they are only three months but still they were born six months ago! I understand what parents mean when they warn you how fast it goes.







What have we been up to? Some highlights: We had two triplet mothers visit us on Monday! Two moms who truly understand what our life is like, and their babies are now 13 and 15, so they made it. They were both in great shape, didn't look like they haven't slept in days, no throw up all over them, showered....it was the reassurance I needed. I saw pictures of their beautiful kids -- both have two boys and a little lady just like us. It was a great couple hours. And if that wasn't enough excitement in one week, yesterday it was 60 lovely degrees so we went for a walk. We got two feet out the door and some neighbors, who have been patiently waiting to meet our crew, raced outside to see them. We walked about an hour with another neighbor and her baby. It was great to see the light of day. Also, last week I successfully took all three of my minis to the doctor without any help. It worked just fine and wasn't nearly as difficult as I imagined. We have a fantastic doctor and someone met me outside to carry one in -- I guess that means I didn't really do it myself now doesn't it?

On a sad note, tomorrow we are purchasing a minivan (oh, the shame). We swore we weren't minivan people (absolutely no offense to those who are) and we tried about every car known to man that would be big enough for our three babies. The result: we are, in fact, minivan people. So just like that, we give up. The doctor told me I need a van power sliding doors when she carried one of the babies out of the office for me on Friday. I balked at such nonsense but, alas, she was right. So tomorrow, I'll pick up the big, white albatross. I'll try not to cry. Probably I'll wear my Mom jeans when I go to the dealership. And as soon as I drive away, I'm going to kiss goodbye all my preconceived notions of what minivans aren't and tell myself it is a cool car. It's not and I know it, but convenience has to outweigh cool. We're one baby too many to care about what we used to like. Maybe I'll love it if I give it a chance. I hear from all who drive these things (I can't even say minivan again because I want to throw up in my mouth) that they LOVE them for the ease of use. Okay, okay, enough already, I know. I'll let you know how it goes. I shouldn't need therapy for very long at all.

I still have not posted any updated video. I can't apologize enough for that. One day, I swear.

As for a weight update, as of Friday last week, Braddock - 14 lbs 3 oz, Griffin - 14 lbs 1 oz and Julia 13 lbs 4 oz. They are grabbing at everything now and they love to play in the activity gym and the new jumperoo toy we've got. They prefer to be entertained so I we have puppet shows and dance-offs, sing-a-longs.... you name it, I try it. I had Baby Einstein on for at least an hour yesterday and I felt bad about it but sometimes I just need a break. Solid foods are coming right down the pike. Oh, and they basically sleep through the night 7-7 am without the need to eat. This is new so I won't elaborate just in case I have to eat my words. The sleep makes everything almost easy.

More soon

4 comments:

anne barclay said...

Nic,
Sleeping through the night!!!! YEAH! Once it starts, it will probably last with an occasional blip. How does it feel to actually sleep a full night???
Well, get into your Mom jeans and climb right into that mini-van and celebrate!!! You are so funny. I understand completely about the mini-van but sometimes you've just got to do what you've got to do. And it probably will be a lot easier when you're loading in squirming toddlers!!!! Just wait and see :)
Anne

The Honeymooners-Chris and Noelani K. Miranda said...

Again, I must say how amazing this journey must be for ALL of you. Please be sure to post a photo of the MV~huh that sounds fancy...a large version of a MG! :P Congrats on the babies growing success, they are just so adorable. How cool that you met other triplet families. What's next? Oprah? Wrestling the Octomom (joke)Ha! XOXOXO

Unknown said...

I feel your pain. I am WAAAYYY too cool for a minivan, but in order to cart around my clan of children, I needed to trade my uber-fun Mazda-6s for a Toyota Sienna, with yes, power sliding doors. I made sure though that it was black, so I could retain a shred of my coolness and not feel like I was 50 years old. Sigh... the stuff we give up for our kids and they will never know, and probably will never care. :)

Kathy Murphy said...

The kids are looking so cute...growing beautifully too. How's my boy, Braddock? Glad they're sleeping through the night... they're big enough so it should continue.. fingers and toes crossed. So you bought the minivan... don't worry, you're still cool. The minivan is the new cool for triplet moms. I have a Toyota Sienna and it's really not too uncool. Love to all you guys!!