Monday, March 30, 2009

Babies going green




(From top: Griffin, Julia and Braddock)



The results for the avocados are in. Did they like them? Not so much. The picture I'm not showing is of me with the green on my face. I will shamelessly admit that I ate much more than they did because I happened to think my culinary attempt was delicious! Shame on these babies for not having mature taste buds. Sweet potatoes are still the favorite. Avocados are so easy to make, no baking or steaming involved. I have several more that I'll be making guacamole with. I bought enough for a family of 10 babies. So far no food allergies or reactions. We're going to move on to carrots or butternut squash next. This summer will be more fun once the farmer's market opens. We have some great markets around us with lots of great organic produce from local farms.
We had a very busy week last week. On Wednesday, we went for the first time back to the hospital where they were born for their first NICU follow-up, and I'm thrilled to report that everyone is doing perfectly well. The nurses, doctors and physical therapists were pleased with their adjusted age progress. They did stress to us the need to evaluate everything at their adjusted age (4.75 months). For preemies, we'll use that age for a full two years. We'll still have their first birthday bash when they turn one, but we know they are really only a little over nine months old at that point. It's kind of like the first few days of daylight savings time where you're always reminding yourself it's really an hour earlier.
Julia may be walking by then because she never quits. She's just bored to sit around when there's so much to see and do. Whoever wonders if boys and girls are really that different just needs to come to our house for a few hours. From the minute they were born, they are like night and day. If I'd had them the conventional way and Julia was first, I would definitely think there was something off about the boys. They just take their time with everything. She's moved on to the next thing before they even realize there is a thing.
They are getting so cute now and everything around them is exciting. We're working on rolling over and sitting up. Braddock sees the doctor Wednesday about his feet. It's been a month since our last visit and they still look great. He manages to get out of his shoes like Houdini and I can't for the life of me figure out how he's doing it. I put them on and look over as we're playing...they're off. Maybe Griffin is unbuckling them when I'm not looking. I'm hoping that the doctor is as happy with the progress as she was a month ago.
We also went to the park with our neighbor last week. I have pictures I will post in a few days. They loved the baby swings!
Beyond that all is well. Happy and Healthy so I haven't a complaint in this world. If anyone out there has a great solution for diaper rash, I'd love to hear about it.

3 comments:

anne barclay said...

Have you tried "Butt Paste"? That sometimes works.
The kids look great in green. I guess avocados must be an acquired taste. So, you're making all your own baby food? Ambitious of you! I tried that back in the day but it didn't last long. Of course, now they have so many good organic options out there.
Sounds like all is going well. Love to all,
Anne

Nicole O'Dell said...

Great update!

I'm making my baby food, too. I think it's great! Good for you!

:)

The Honeymooners-Chris and Noelani K. Miranda said...

Holy Guacamole! I had two blogs to catch up on about the trifecta cherubs! They are soooo gorgeous. Kuddos again on the "good looks" and "smaht" genes Nicci and Bill. Wow I love avocado, I wish I could have dinner with them sometime. I love that you are making their food...and that the dining room is on hold until further notice ;) Too fun.

A friend of mine swears by Baby bee diaper ointment-by Burt Bee. I can't give you a review BUTT-ha ha it's supposed to be mah-velous. Keep up the super work XOXO